Tuesday, July 17, 2012

eBay baby.


So you all know how much I love finding great deals online, and eBay has often been a really amazing go to for me to finding really nice stuff for less. (Last month I scored a brand new pair of chucks for under $25 for my birthday!)

So, as we've been looking for baby things, and slowly building up our supplies, I have been so happy with some of the great stuff for baby I've been able to find!

I have found that with eBay, because there is SO MUCH there, I've developed a couple of rules or tips that can be very helpful as you try to navigate the ocean of  listings, not only for baby stuff, but for anything you are wanting to find.

  1. Know what you are looking for.

    Are you looking for clothing, toys, gift cards, bath supplies... know what you want. Don't just go to eBay and type in baby unless you are wanting to pull all your hair out.
  2. If you are looking for something very specific, don't limit yourself by just looking in the obvious category. 

    eBay has categories for
    everything. You can look for toys, chew toys, bath toys, stuffed animals... the list is almost endless. But, if you are looking for something extremely specific, for example a Sophie The Giraffe Natural Teething Toy (which I've heard are amazing, but because junior hopefully won't have teeth right away, I still haven't been able to justify), I would avoid looking in a specific category, and instead just do a generic search for "Sophie Giraffe" in all baby stuff. If you want to get picky about price and condition after you have done that be my guest. You can drill down on that stuff on the left hand side of the page. 

    By NOT specifying a category, you are able to search for any listings that meet that search term among
    all the baby listings on eBay. This is advantageous because while most people might look for that item under the "teething" or whatever category, someone may put up a listing under "toys" or something else. Catching my drift?

    A quick search for a Sophie actually turned up decent results. You can get a brand new one
    here for under $19 with free shipping. Pretty good when they are usually at least $25 at most retailer stores.

  3. Know when to narrow.

    Knowing when is a good time to narrow your search criteria is an important skill to develop if you want to find good deals on eBay. When I search, two of the main things I narrow by are price and size. Whether I'm buying for me or my baby, I usually have a pretty narrow threshold for what I am willing to spend, and as I've mentioned in previous posts, it is important to know what will fit, for you or for someone else.

    It is pretty straightforward to narrow by price and and size. Once you have created your basic search, there are about a billion things you can narrow by on the left hand side of the page. And the beauty about narrowing is that you can choose more than one category when you are doing it. So when I was looking for baby clothes, I was able to look through listing for a baby fitting in sizes newborn-12 months. Pretty nifty no? 
Here are some of my favorite things I've scored for our little one:
Left: Gap Onesie, $3 - The tags were still attached, but there was a teenie tiny hole I patched.
Center: Cowboy Shirt, $10 - This actually came from Kate Quinn Organics. Though pricey, their stuff is amazing and all organic cotton, but if you subscribe to their email list, you'll get notifications for when they have $10 sales!
Right: Chambray Shirt, $3 - Its Chambray, need I say more?
Shoes: all were under $7 total. And those sweet little boots in the middle? $3.50 baby. Love. 
These two were sort of for Justin. I got the Kenneth Cole one on the right for $12 total, and the Gap one on the left for $15 (I always calculate shipping into the price of an item). 
This little guy is actually my favorite. A creepy but cute hand made teddy - $12. Seriously guys. You have no idea how much I love squeezing this thing. It's borderline indecent. 
Hopefully these tips help. eBay can be a bit daunting when you first begin, and a bit addicting once you've scored your first great deals.

What would you most like to score a great deal on? What is most daunting when you're buying on a platform like eBay? I've been doing it for a while, so sometimes I forget what it is like to be new at the thing. :)

-Heather

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post! You got some really nice things for baby at awesome prices. :) I usually go to eBay to buy jewelry, but I still haven't figured out a great way to sort out the mass-produced cheapie stuff from China to get to the unique pieces from estate sales or someone just cleaning out the garage or grandma's attic. :)